Monday 10 May 2010

reflection on week's proposed work ending 7/05/2010

So I proposed this week (being aware that my tutor was away and a temporary tutor had been arranged for the week to cover who would not necessarily know exactly what our project was about and all the ins and outs of it and reasons for decisions made etc), that I would carry out my alterations from my fitting, create my piping that would go on the jacket (out of my black fabric but the reversed side) and work on my sleeves and correcting those. I also proposed to work on my shirt pique pieces; knowing that they were now the correct size etc (from the fitting), the pleated cuffs and the bottom pleated decorational part; getting this to the desired shape and size!

My alterations, were not particularly complicated however, this time I used the procedure of transfering them from one side to the other and re-tacking the lines in place to show the new lines; for a more lasting mark of where things should be placed (e.g the armhole)! I checked with temporary tutor suzan that this was the right way to go about them and she agreed. She also suggested that for the sleeves instead of redrafting them completely; due to the sleeve head shape not changing changing but simply needing to be extended, due to the new armwhole line being moved more toward the neckline; I just needed to measure the extra amount I needed to add to the top of the sleeve head and then apply it to the sleeve head when creating my new pattern piece. The alterations and added tacking took up more time than I expected. I also, despite not fully making them up (sewing them together), wanted to have my collars cut out of my top fabric and the collar canvas ready for My tutor to instruct me on the construction of when he got back; as I need them to be very stiff; especially for the shirt collar; and had prediscussed seeing him about this when he got back, before my 2nd fitting.

I therefore prioritised my alterations; getting my sleeves cut out ready and alterations done. This meant that I did not get onto finishing my Pleated cuffs and piques. Also, I did not wish to rush to get these done as they are key decorational parts of the shirt that would have attention drawn to them; therefore I wanted my measurements for the pleats and where they sat to be as identically accurate as possible. (Like the quality of a tailor made high fashion shirt; very particular and methodical!) Therefore, I was discapointed that these were things I would have to account for in next weeks schedule and add into; however I rathered spending more time on them to gain a quality finish than rushing them.

I did however get the deocrational pleated bottom part completed and was pleased with the result of this!


Suzanne was very helpful and very keen to discuss our projects with us. What I felt was wonderful; was she offered support and her opinion on how to do things; but did not direct you or tell you it was the only way to do it and you had to do it that way! Therefore, her experience within industry did not make her seem undermining or derogatory of our skills! She liked to hear how we would go about it and would then offer her assistance or agree! This gave me belief that I was not out of my depth with this project and was very capable at making good informed decisions; as an industry professional would in their day to day practice!


One slight other task I reaslised the monday night when arriving home from my fitting was that I would need more of the copper knitted wire that would be used for the reverse applique on the sleeves; due to having completed the sample on my 2nd fitting calico sleeve! This was not an issue as I knew this seller was very quick at posting the order and it would be with me if ordered tuesday morning by thursday! However; this was another task to schedule into my weeks plans; possibly resulting in the delay on finishing the cuffs and piques! However; I am pleased I had considered this early on in the week or this may have caused a problem later on in the week if I had not; when I was scheduling for the following week's jobs and time allownaces!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment