Sunday 2 May 2010

progress on my project- week starting 26/04/10- 30/04/2010

On my way to my 2nd fitting! This fitting is where the garments are generally cut out from the top fabric; although pieces such as the collar and cuffs etc do not get made from top fabric until after the 2nd fitting due to the neckline or cuff of the sleeve needing to be changed! Therefore these are made out of calico; a cheap way to get the idea of what the garment will look like in full when finished but, not wasting your fabric if they need to be changed due to changes made to the lines they attach at! The decoration that can be added should be added at this point; but this does vary from designer to designer; as this is a sheduling decision. However, if the decoration is not completed on the garment due to sheduling choice or due to it being on pieces such as the collar; it is a good idea to provide a sample so as the client can get an insight of what it will look like and can begin to visualise the piece in full! Unfortunately, for my jacket and shirt most of my decoration is on areas that I can not create out of the top fabric until after my fitting! My jacket's rhinestones and studs will be placed on the collar and the cuffs and on the sleeve of the jacket is where the reverse applique will be created. However.. i have bought to my fitting my sleeves with a sample of exactly how the decoration will be... but on the top fabric sleeve after the fitting instead! Also I have bought all of the beads and studs along with my me to the fitting for James to see and be able to visualise the final outcome better! For my shirt, I have done a sample of the pique style piece I want to add to it; but have done this out of the mock fabric that I used for my toile! Unfortunately I have not been able to create the other pleated decorational piece at the bottom of the shirt, due to having to know the fit of the shirt to then know the scale to be able to make it! However I have with me a picture of the shirt and exactly how I wish it to look and will be creating it to look! This will definately give James an idea of how it will look still!



So... the week prior to today... Has been manic! Sadly due to much of my decoration needing to be completed after my fitting, I have not been able to progress as far as other members of the group regarding this! However, I am lucky that this is the case in a sense as my beads only arrived yesterday, due to being held up in customs (one problem I need to consider next time I am ordering internationally, so I would not have been able to necessarily complete it if I was able to in time for this fitting anyway! Despite not having to worry about my beads arriving necessarily due to not needing them on my garment I still wanted them to arrive in time so that I was able to show James! Therefore, all week this was still a worry; and an even bigger worry that my rhinestones and decrational elements are my biggest expenditure of my budget (coming to £.... in total) and they could potentially not arrive due to not having used the website before and in the worst case.. they may not have been posted even and due to my budget; I could not afford the $30 postage on top of the price I was paying that provided insurance! However.. the rhinestones did turn up but not until the saturday! (10 days from my order date.) This did mean though that I am able to take them with me!

So anyway.. despite this I have been manically constructing my garments, which has not proven too difficult since they have been redrafted and I know I have spent a good amount of time the 1st week and the early part of this past week redrafting the sleeves and conducting my alterations; double checking my measurements in the process. Still, I feel a little mervous about my fitting and the jacket or shirt not fitting James (being too small now!) This was another element which is just relating to trusting my abilities and relating to my confidence! This is something that I control when conducting a fitting to be professional but would help myself if I prior to my fitting I managed to control it; so as I was sewing in a more calm conducted way!

I am due to get in to london at 10.20 and conduct my fitting tomorrow (monday in the morning) So I will write up how things went mid week!

No comments:

Post a Comment