Tuesday 20 April 2010

reflection on the fitting! 6/04/2010

The fitting, we had organised with the band and had been decided by them and agreed by us that the best place to have it, regarding everyone being able to get there etc, was in london at one of the band member's flats! This was essentually not ideal, as it meant we would be completely on our own; with only one another to fall back on if there were any problems with the coats! Equally, due to it being in London, this still meant travelling to get there. Unfortunately for me.. trains were far from running smoothly that evening, so it did mean I was a little late.. but there band were very relaxed and were fully understanding!

As soon as i arrived I began with James' fitting. The band members were all excited to be seeing the initail stages of their costumes and hear about our ideas and plans for them!

James' coat did need relative amounts of fitting especially at the side seam and side-back seam! The armholes, I spent quite a long time on assessing the correct positioning as this would be a key element effecting their level of performance and comfort wearing the coat!

James was very patient and easy to work with and followed my requests happily; where i asked him to bend his arm or turn around etc!

I showed James the fabrics; which he very much complimented and was excited about!

The adaptations to my coat were:
taking in the side seam,
side back seam,
moving back slightly and taking out fabric from the shoulder seam,
moving up the armhole to provide more movement and space around the shoulder for flexibility of movement.

The length,the lapel shape, collar shape, fullness of the skirt were all elements I checked with James he was happy with despite me feeling happy with how they looked; James confirmed he was happy and liked it as it was in relation to those areas so I did not adapt them!

The sleeve I made thinner (less baggy) and more fitted which I knew would consequently affect the sleeve head and underarm and would therefore need redrafting and checking against the new armhole position!

The fitting lasted approximately 3 hours, however this did include dressing time for both the shirt and the jacket, photos, refreshments, and no assistant passing pins or taking ntoes etc!

The fitting I felt went extreamly well and was a real eye opening experience as I discovered that I was not fased by a tutor not being there and directing me in what I should be doing and where I should be taking it in in order for it to fit correctly; as i found I had enough knowledge from previous fittings over the 2 years of the course to assess and decide this myself!

I remained calm and completed the fitting in a professional mannor as I would be doing in industry! However, I felt that, due to us all fitting our own at the same time, (to avoid the band members waiting around and it taking longer than it needed to) we did not have assistants which did lengthen the amount of time the fitting took. This made me aware of how useful and helpful it is to have an assistant to fill in passing pins, taking pictures, taking notes as this definately does help reduce the amount of time; shortening the process!

I was conscious to take many pictures, so that if there was any problem once I was back at uni again, my tutor could see the pictures which would hopefully help to solve any problem or understand it more and what I had done at the fitting and why!! Pictures show a relative amount; but I ensured I took notes too, to back up my photos and ensure I understood my photos!



As a group we worked very well and supported each other where we needed. One of the my group members I asked to double check my placing of the sleeve, as I felt two sets of eyes and sets of knowledge put together should mean fewer problems or faults! Also, I did this for re-assurance that my understandings were correct in placing the sleeve and my adaptations and I had not forgotten any methods, alteration rules or elements regarding this that could cause a problem at a later stage!! As in a sense, a problem for one member of the group is a problem for all.. as despite being assessed separately we are making for a band; a collective group and doing an end photoshoot so it is important that we are all there supporting each other for these reasons and for a positive working relationship!

No comments:

Post a Comment