Tuesday 13 April 2010

fabric trip to Hansons fabric shop on the 25/03/2010

One member of the group kindly offered to drive, as we would not have been able to visit hansons if someone was not to drive as it is in a relatively remote location where there is not easy or much if any public transport from bournemouth. Equally I do not necessarily think we would have considered this trip if this was the case; as it would essentually have meant adding on high travel expenses to our fabric budget! Either, consequently limiting our choice to price or... having to go to a closer shop and buy something that maybe wasnt perfect and exactly what we wanted, but closest and having to settle for that!

The evaluation of the trip:
I felt this was a worthwhile trip; despite not buying any fabric; meerly looking to see what was there, getting sample and card to be able to get the fabric again if i wanted to use it for my final piece! The other girls in the group bought both their fabrics that day (their jacket fabrics and their trouser fabric) Their trouser fabric was all matching, however their jacket fabrics did vary in colours and slightly in texture due to their different designs!

On reflection of this, i realised that the three of them buying the same trouser fabric would mean that when i was sourcing my trousers; i would have to be very particular and fussy to get the closet match possible to avoid my band member looking not linked to the band! Likewise; when i buy my shirt fabric they will have to take this into consideration when sourcing their shirts! I did not buy my fabric on this trip as I personally felt I did not want to rush into buying the first fabric i saw! Also being on a bugdet, and knowing I would be back in london at home in less than a week from this date; I wanted to see if shepherds bush did any fabrics similar for a cheaper price or any fabrics I liked more and felt would be more appropriate! This trip however was very useful, as the girls bought the majority of their fabrics and components; therefore I was able to see the colours, shapes of components they chose, and textures they would be using to consider this when I was deciding and buying my fabrics and components and how I could ensure I was tying it into their costumes! (Creating costumes for a band, not individuals this way!) This trip equally allowed me to see the average price per metre of fabrics I was looking at to use to set a rough fabric forcasted budget!

All in all there are pro's and cons to my desicision to not buy stright away! In terms of cons; the girls would not be able to see my actual fabric decision untill the 1st fitting when i would bring them to show my band member too! Also, it meant another day; I would have to allow for fabric shopping where they could be working on their toiles; however as i have mentioned previously, I have created a schedule and was not on placement over easter and therefore felt this was necessarily a bad decision I made at all!

(see my schedule for my proposed fabric shopping day over easter)!

No comments:

Post a Comment